Friday, December 16, 2011

My 2 bits on MI- Ghost Protocol

Now I don't know what made me more happy - watching MI Ghost Protocol and seeing the awesome action or watching a movie on Thursday soon as it released. The latter has been a sore point for me as I always end up watching movies days after they release with the entire world having already watched it and it become stale news to discuss...but hey I'm digressing. Back to the movie, this one really got the 'Mission' part of Mission Impossible right!!  It gets it right from the pre title sequence and the opening titles actually preview the events to come in a clever way. 27 minutes of the movie I'm told  are in IMAX and it's been used to the fullest putting you closer to the action. The best being the title sequence and the Dubai Burj Khalifa hotel sequence. With the larger screen, your entire field of view is filled with the picture and the massive speakers make everything much louder. So by the time you come out of the movie you'll feel as though you've been in it by being so involved in the heart racing sequences and being on edge of your seat. Gadgets are super cool and have an air of James Bond about them..they are crazy yet practical and interact with the scene. On the action you have to see it to believe how awesome it is!!

While I don't understand direction much but amazing coming from someone who makes animation movies (The Incredible,Ratatouille). Tom Cruise needless to say looks amazing (and that too at 50!!). I read he's done his own stunts..if that's true then all I say is 'respect'. And no way I believe that fans needed to be bribed to greet and hoot for him in India like the media said. If you're a fan of the series L.O.S.T and loved the character Sawyer as much as I did then you may be disappointed with his blink and you missed it role in the movie...sigh..just wasn't enough of him although he did get an excellent starting scene. Small part of the movie has been shot in Mumbai and when Tom Cruise's character mentions they're going to India there were whistles and catcalls in the theatre. I was so tempted to join in and do the same but I was sure my husband would have disowned me! After waiting and waiting for Anil Kapoor to come onscreen, he finally did make his dramatic entrance to be greeted to more whistles and claps. My husband was glaring at me this time lest I break into full applause. His role was however very small and very..umm..what should I say, goofy. For a second into his scene I really thought he's going to start doing his signature step to 'My name is Lakhan'...phew that didnt happen!!  But his hair looked sooooo good that it makes up for his itsy bit role and plus I kind of have a soft corner for him and for his enthusiastic child like mannerisms in interviews etc.

My oops moment yesterday: Now I sometimes have a problem understanding the storyline of these suspense-thriller kind of hollywood movies.While the English is not the problem but with the fast pace and whatnot I somehow get lost. I remember as kids (and even now!) my brother would get very annoyed at having to sit next to me and explain the scenes. Thankfully that didn't happen in the Ghost protocol but there was an instance that I as usual got a little confused. There was a huge action scene playing itself at that time and I had to be very loud to make myself heard to V and asked him 'what is happening, why did he have to kill xxx...I didn't understand' . And my luck at just that time the scene ended and while there was pin drop silence in the theatre my voice boomed over it all. Words cannot explain how foolish I felt...sigh..
Barring that embarrassing moment total paisa vasool movie, go watch it tonight and in IMAX !! 

4 comments:

RiĆ  said...

Hmm...after reading this i might be having 2nd thoughts on not wanting to watch it.

Bhargavi said...

I am not a huge fan of the MI franchise ,but I can totally watch it for Tom Cruise ;-).. I still have trouble following some really fast-paced English movies and have to rely on sub-titles (if they are available )..

Disha said...

@Ria go ahead!!i've heard its a better watch from the other release 'sherlock holmes' which is not as good as its 1st part

@Bhargavi: I know!! i'm a subtitle person too but here didn't have too apply my brain too much so it was ok:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I kinda want to see MI cause I've seen the others. Hubby doesn't want to see it though.